Retail Data Systems
Cleaning and Sanitizing your POS Equipment
These are difficult times, and we want to make sure everyone is safe. To assist with efforts to reduce the spread of any germs
and viruses, we have some guidelines for cleaning and sanitizing your POS equipment.
To safely clean POS hardware (terminal, printer, any plastic surfaces):
- You do not need to turn off the POS terminal. Just be careful to not get any surfaces excessively wet - especially
- Dampen a clean towel with water or use an alcohol-based disinfectant wipe (70% isopropyl alcohol is best). Wring the
towel out as much as you can - it should only be damp. Never pour water directly onto the terminal.
- Wipe down the POS system, making sure to clean all hard to reach areas.
For cleaning fingerprint readers, follow these recommendations:
- Apply the sticky side of a piece of adhesive cellophane tape to the window and then peel it of
- Avoid the following:
- pouring liquid directly on the reader window
- using alcohol-based cleaners
- submerging in liquid
- using paper or abrasive materials to rub the fingerprint window
- poking the window coating with your fingernail, a pen, or other items
- Use a pre-moistened disinfectant wipe, if available
- Use a micro-fiber cleaning cloth or soft towel
- Use 70% isopropyl alcohol for sanitizing
- Spray the cleaner onto the cloth or towel and then wipe the surface
- Use a cloth or towel that is only damp
- Consult with a trained technician for cleaning of interior parts
- Spraying directly onto the equipment
- Using abrasive cleaners, bleach-based products, or abrasive cleaning materials (scrub brush, scouring pad, paper towels)
- Soaking the equipment
How often should you clean and sanitize your POS surfaces?
If the equipment is used a lot, clean and sanitize more often. Are you offering special hours for shoppers that are at a higher risk or are first responders? Definitely clean before and after those shoppers are in your stores. If you can do a quick wipe
after each customer, even better.
Listed below are more cleaning resources you can use for your store's equipment.